Research is increasingly showing that we can have a real and actual impact on the rate of our metabolism – it’s all about the choices we make from morning ’til night! Seriously -why not give yourself a leg up on your daily calorie burn and think about some easy things you could be doing to kick your metabolism up a notch?
Shape Magazine shares the Top 5 Ways to Speed Up Your Metabolism:
1. Eat and Drink right: 2 things to think about here: when you eat and what you’re eating.
When you eat: We’ve all heard that we should not skip breakfast, and I’ll repeat it again! Shape says, “After a good night’s rest (and eight hours or so without food), the body needs fuel, but if you skip breakfast, it will conserve energy by slowing down your metabolism.” The same is true throughout the day – don’t skip meals or planned, healthy snacks – sending your body into energy conservation mode!
What you’re eating: This can make a big difference! Research has shown that certain foods can actually help increase your metabolic rate: lean proteins, calcium, green tea, curry and dark chocolate (in moderation – don’t think candy bar here! we’re talking a high percent of cacao and a single serving!)
2. Sleep! Sometimes getting enough sleep is much easier said than done, but Shape tells us that a lack of sleep can actually lead to weight gain: “A study in the American Journal of Epidemiology indicates that women who sleep five hours or fewer per night are 32 percent more likely to experience major weight gain. Not catching enough Zs doesn’t allow metabolism to function properly, and instead your metabolism slows down. Making matters worse, poor sleep causes an increase in the mormon gherlin, which signals the body to eat more.”
3. Build your muscle through strength training: You hear us saying it in class at the barre, but the more muscle we are building in our body, the more calories you burn throughout the day – we really are spiking up your metabolism! Shape says: “While how much is unclear, one thing is known: muscle burns calories at a higher rate than fat. (Depending on which study you read, a pound of muscle burns anywhere from 15-50 calories per day. Compare this to fat, which averages about two calories per day.)” That’s quite a leap and it can really add up when we consider how many pounds we’ve got!
4. Intense cardio bursts: Shape says: “To spike up the body’s metabolism, do intense 45-minute cardio sessions a few times a week. A study published in the Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise journal showed that an intense cardio workout can slash an additional 190 calories post-workout.” A perfect compliment to your day off from the barre – kick that heart rate up to keep your burn going!
5. Hydrate with H20: This is another tip that keeps coming up whether we’re talking about ways to fight off hunger, look younger or feel better – but let’s add “increase your metabolism” to the list: Shape says, “A German study showed that after drinking 17 ounces of water, the participants’ metabolism had an increase of about 30 percent.”