Even though our winter wonderland seems to have finally arrived, there’s nothing like a meal that you taste and it immediately transports you to a summer evening… I can’t wait to remake this recipe this summer on the grill, but let me tell you, you don’t really miss it now! The light sautéed veggies and citrus creme sauce come together in a slightly tropical, decidedly summer-y way in this simple recipe!
Plus, it’s a fantastic way to sneakily incorporate seafood into your diet: sub in almost any fish you like – and guess what? Your kids will probably love it, too, since the seasonings are so fantastic it erases any seemingly “fishy” flavor! I’ve pumped up the original Cooking Light recipe with additional veggies to up the nutritional value, and made one of my all-time favorite swaps: 0% plain greek yogurt for sour cream…you literally can’t tell the difference, so why say no to some extra protein?
Here’s to spring and summer…just around the corner!
Fish Tacos with Lime-Cilantro Crema
Yield: 4 servings
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoons fat-free mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 pounds red snapper fillets
- Cooking spray
- 8 (6-inch) 100% whole wheat tortillas
- 1/2 sliced red onion
- 1/2 sliced red pepper
- 1/2 sliced green pepper
- 2 cups sliced spinach
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare crema, combine the first 8 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside.
- To prepare tacos, combine cumin and next 5 ingredients (through garlic powder) in a small bowl; sprinkle spice mixture evenly over both sides of fish. Place fish on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 9 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork or until desired degree of doneness. Place fish in a bowl; break into pieces with a fork.
- While fish is baking, sauté sliced onions and peppers over high heat until blackened.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Divide fish evenly among tortillas; top each with 1/4 cup cabbage, onions and peppers and 1 tablespoon crema.
Nutritional Information (based on original recipe)
- Calories: 394
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 6.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 40.3g
- Carbohydrate: 40.1g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 70mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 857mg
- Calcium: 233mg