This is a delicious meatless meal that still packs the protein you need to power you through your day, with a deliciously exotic twist. Pair with slow-roasted asparagus that is packed with heart-healthy fats from the olive oil & almonds, and you will round out your wholesome dinner in under 30 minutes! If you are watching your carbs, skipping the pitas is a great option for these burgers – you’ll still get a serving of heart-healthy whole grains (and fiber to keep you full) from the bulgur! Bon apetit!
Skillet-Seared Chickpea-Bulgur Burgers
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup bulgur wheat
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 – 15 ounce can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon plus pinch coarse salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 4 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, warmed
1. Bring water to a boil in a small pot. Add bulgur and simmer, partially covered, over medium heat 8 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat, cover pot and let bulgur rest 5 minutes.
2. Pulse garlic in a food processor until minced; set aside 1/2 teaspoon. Add chickpeas to remaining garlic and puree. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and add carrot, scallions, cumin, cayenne pepper and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Fluff bulgur with a fork and stir into chickpea mixture.
3. Shape 3/4 cup chickpea mixture into a 3/4-inch-thick patty; repeat with remaining chickpea mixture.
4. Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook 3 minutes on each side, or until browned.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt with reserved garlic and pinch of salt. Split pitas open and fill each with 1 patty, 2 slices tomato, 2 slices cucumber and 2 tablespoons yogurt sauce.
Nutrition Info Per Serving:
Fat: 6 g
Protein: 16 g
Carbs: 67 g
Fiber: 12 g
Sodium: 663 mg
Roasted Asparagus with Slivered Almonds
Makes: 2 servings
- 1 bunch asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange asparagus in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until tender-crisp.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with almonds & serve!
Nutrition Info Per serving
Fat: 15.9 g
Protein: 12 g
Carbs: 22 g
Fiber: 11 g
Sodium: 25 mg