This recipe was passed to us by one of our fabulous barre staff (after gifting us with the joy of a few bites!), and we are not quite sure where it originated from but simply had to, HAD TO, share. It’s just that good.
While nothing that contains 36 ounces of chocolate (even if it is cacao) can be called 100% guilt-free, if you watch your portions there’s no reason to feel bad over indulging in this fudge. Coconut oil is all the rage these days because of its many benefits – from helping your body fight bacteria to its antioxidant properties that help your body absorb more minerals to helping lower your blood pressure and cholesterol – it seems like there’s not much the most nutrient-dense part of the coconut can’t do!
Getting back to the fudge, this is all great news for us since our recipe happens to highlight both coconut oil and manna (closer to coconut butter – pictured left). Dare we call these fudge delights “nutritious”? That may be stretching it, but this is certainly just about as close as any fudge will get.
This recipe makes a LOT of fudge (think over 150 1″ squares!), so reduce the ingredients accordingly or plan on wrapping up as holiday treats to give away to your friends – we promise they’ll appreciate the nearly guilt-less treat! Alternately, this should freeze well so you could have a bite ‘o fudge per day for the next few months – now that’s forward-thinking 🙂
Nearly Guilt-Free Superfood Fudge
- 15 oz. Nutiva Organic Coconut Manna (1 Jar – can be found at Whole Foods near Olive Oils)
- 9 oz. Nutiva Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
- 36 oz. Cacao Baking chocolate (the particular recipe we tasted was actually a mix of Lilly’s dark chocolate sweetened w/Stevia and Enjoy Life chips)
- 4.5c. Almond Slivers (you can substitute any nut you’re partial to: raw cashews, macadamia, almonds)
- 3c. Cranberries or Cherries-dried (optional)
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp. Almond Extract Pure
- Dash of Sea Salt (smoked or course ground)
- Preheat Oven to 400
- Line an 8×8 and 9×13 baking pan with parchment (or one very large baking tray)
- Toast nuts in a single layer on parchment lined pan
- Remove from oven and allow to cool
- Meanwhile, melt coconut manna in it’s jar (remove metal lid) in a pot filled with boiling water. Once the sides are liquid, you can easily pour out.
- Sprinkle nuts with Sea Salt
- Chop dried fruit, if using, and sprinkle evenly on top of nuts and salt
- Combine Chocolate, Coconut Oil, and Coconut Manna in a microwave safe dish. Microwave 60 seconds. Stir 2-5 mins, then microwave 30sec. followed by more stirring, until creamy and smooth.
- Add Almond extract to chocolate mixture, stir for another minute.
- Gently pour over fruit & nut mixture, covering evenly.
- Place in refrigerator for about 2 hours. Then remove the pan from fridge, pull fudge out of pan, parchment and all. Using a large knife, cut into 1″ strips lengthwise, then into 1″ chunks.
If you truly cut them to 1″ chunks, you should have almost 200 chunks and calories per square are around 75 (and remember that the coconut & almond ingredients are calorie-heavy but in moderation are good calories for you). Store leftovers in the refrigerator and don’t forget to lick your fingers! 🙂