Be sure to choose firm but ripe avocados. To determine if the fruit is ripe, hold it in the palm of your hand and very gently squeeze–the avocado should give slightly under gentle pressure. Color does not indicate ripeness and can range from light to dark green depending on the variety. To ripen hard avocados, place in a brown paper bag and store at room temperature for up to two days. Store soft fruit in the refrigerator to extend its life for two or three more days.
1. Preheat broiler. Place a baking sheet in oven while broiler preheats.
2. Combine flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Place breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Place egg whites in a small bowl, and whisk until foamy.
3. Halve avocados, remove pits, and cut each half into 6 wedges. Pull off peels.
4. Dredge avocado wedges in flour, dip in egg white, and then dredge in breadcrumbs. Remove baking sheet from oven; coat with cooking spray. Place avocado slices on baking sheet; coat avocados with cooking spray.
5. Broil 5 minutes or until brown on top. Turn and broil 2 more minutes. Remove and serve with lemon wedges.